Saturday 24 January 2015

Smoothie Saturday!

I absolutely love starting my day with a smoothie. Packed full of fruit, you know they are full of goodness and will help start your day off right. Here I show you two smoothies, one a deep red colour and the other green.

 

I absolutely love starting my day with a smoothie. Packed full of fruit, you know they are full of goodness and will help start your day off right. Here I show you two smoothies, one a deep red colour and the other green.
Deep red smoothie

Ingredients
2 ripe pears
1 lime
150g frozen blueberries
200ml fresh apple juice

Serves 2


Chop up your ripe pears and remove the core and stalk. Add into your liquidiser/blender along with the frozen blueberries, fresh apple juice and the juice from 1 lime. Start blending until no lumps remain and it is smooth. It turns this absolutely gorgeous deep red colour. A real wintery colour.



This is actually my favourite smoothie I have ever made. It is so full of flavour. The lime gives it a little zing which I think really finishes this smoothie off. These fruits just work so well together.

Green smoothie

Ingredients
300g pineapple
150g melon (I used Galia)
1 lime
30g spinach
200ml fresh apple juice

Serves 2




Chop up your melon and pineapple and add into your blender/liquidiser along with the spinach and squeeze the juice of your lime in. I guess it depends what you're using, but my liquidiser found this a bit of an effort to get going. As the ingredients of this smoothie are quite voluminous, I had to keep stopping to push the fruit down towards the blades and give it a mix. Eventually though, the liquidiser did its thing and produced this lovely dark pastel green colour (colours are so hard to describe!).


If not drunk straight away and left for a while, it does separate out. This is the juices falling to the bottom, which happens with this smoothie as melon contains a lot of water, pineapple is juicy and you've added in juice. Just give it a little stir and it's good to go again. This doesn't happen instantly, so unless it is deliberately left to have later, this won't happen. Don't forget that smoothies are different to making juice. You still have all the substance of the fruit in there, whereas in a juice, that doesn't go in. 




I love this smoothie because it is so light. It tastes so refreshing and has some great ingredients in there. I love putting spinach in smoothies, as it creates wonderful green colours, doesn't affect the taste too much, and has an extremely high nutritional value. What's not to love about it! 
What are your favourite fruits/vegetables to put in smoothies?



No comments:

Post a Comment