Sunday 25 January 2015

Scrambled Egg and Spears

One thing I love about the weekends is being able to spend extra time on my breakfast, rather than just throwing some cereal in a bowl or some bread in the toaster as I run out the door for work. There are endless studies which say breakfast is the most important meal of the day, and it should also be one of your biggest meals of the day. Whether this is true or not, I think it is fairly obvious that your body needs energy when you wake up, as you have just gone an extended period without food. Breakfast actually means breaking your fast. Your body needs fuel to function, so why deprive yourself of it? There's nothing like a good breakfast to set you up for the day, so that's why at the weekend when I have the time, I always make extra effort with my breakfasts.

What I'm sharing with you today is how to jazz up scrambled eggs on toast. This recipe is great for making plain old scrambled eggs on toast that little bit more special. It's also an easy way to get some green in to your breakfast as well. I guess this could make a great lunch too, but I like to have eggs for breakfast when I can as they easily keep me full until lunch. 


The ingredients below only serve one, but it is easy enough to multiply everything up if you are serving for more. 

Ingredients
2 eggs
50ml milk
1tbsp butter
pepper
1 or 2 slices of your favourite bread
4 asparagus spears

I know some people prefer their scrambled egg really creamy (substitute the milk for cream), or may prefer to cook it an alternative way. Cook your scrambled egg how you best enjoy them. This recipe is not only to talk you through how I made it, but it's also aimed to just give you an idea how to vary your breakfast , even if that means you make it a completely different way to how I have below.


Crack the eggs into a bowl or jug, add in the milk and grind some pepper in. Beat with a whisk until all mixed together. Put aside.
Chop the tough ends off your asparagus spears. These are the white ends and are usually about an inch long. Add the butter to a frying pan, allow to melt, grind in some pepper and add your asparagus. Keep turning them until they have browned up a bit. 



Remove the asparagus from the pan and immediately pour your egg mixture into the same pan. Egg doesn't take long to cook and it will start cooking instantly. It's important to keep the mixture moving otherwise you will end up with an omelette! Do this by gently whisking the mixture whilst it is cooking. After about 30 second to 1 minute of your egg cooking, put your bread on to toast.


Once your egg is cooked, make some room to add your asparagus back into the pan to quickly re-heat it before serving. 


Butter your toast, place the egg on top and finally the asparagus. VoilĂ ! 




If you wanted to make this dish even more special, you could make some hollandaise sauce to go over the top. I didn't do this as I don't like hollandaise sauce, but if you do, then that would be a great addition to this. Now you should be ready to face whatever the day has to throw at you!


No comments:

Post a Comment